Google Play Store
Android apps from the Google Play Store can now be downloaded and used on Chromebooks. This is especially beneficial for users that have touch and flip Chromebooks that turn into a tablet. Users can only download apps that were previously approved at the district level.
To view the apps that have already been approved, click here to find and search (press Ctrl + F on your keyboard) to highlight the apps labeled as being from the Play Store.
To use the Play Store on your Chromebook follow these instructions:
- Update your Chromebook by shutting it down and rebooting it.
- Click the Play Store icon on the shelf at the bottom of the screen to launch the Play Store.
- If you cannot find the icon on the shelf, click the menu button at the bottom left corner of the screen and scroll down to locate the Play Store icon in the menu.
- From this screen, you can view all of the Play Store apps that have been approved by the district.
- Click an app to read more about it.
- Click the Install button to install it.
- After the install runs, click the Open button to open the app.
- After installing the app, you can always locate it by clicking the menu button at the bottom left corner of the screen and finding the app in your menu.
- To pin the app to your shelf, right click on the app in the menu and choose Pin to shelf.
- To uninstall the app, right click on the app in the menu and choose Uninstall.
Important Note: Google Play Store apps will take up local storage on your Chromebook. That means that the more Play Store apps you download to your Chromebook, the slower your Chromebook will run. If your Chromebook is running slowly, uninstall some of the Play Store apps from your Chromebook if you have any installed.
- View the Google Sheet of RC Approved Apps and Extensions for Chrome (Press Ctrl + F on your keyboard and search for Play Store to view the Play Store apps)
- Five Educational Android Apps for Chromebooks
- Five More Educational Android Apps for Chromebooks
- Another Five Educational Android Apps for Chromebooks
- Talking Android Apps on The Chromebook Classroom Podcast