Family Wellness Resource Page
The District recognizes that student wellness and proper nutrition are related to students’physical well-being, growth, development, and readiness to learn. The
Red Clay Consolidated School District Board of Education is committed to providing a school environment that encourages student wellness, proper nutrition, nutrition education, and regular physical activity as part of the total learning experience. In a healthy school environment, students will learn about and participate in positive dietary and lifestyle practices that can improve student achievement.
The District knows that family-life is a major contributor to the development of lifelong habits for most children. Red Clay offers its support to the families and guardians of our students by providing the following resources as tools for health education and skills-based learning in the home. Many healthy lessons taught at home will help children become self-sufficient and capable of caring for their own wellness as they grow into adulthood.
The first set of links offers quick tips on a variety of wellness topics for families' reference. The second set of links are more informative and interactive programs available free of charge for families to build a healthy knowledge base with their children.
Quick Tip Sheets
- 10 Ways to Create a Healthy Food Environment at Home
- Back-to-school Nutrition Tips
- Breakfast Helps you Make the Grade
- Kitchen Tools for Making Healthier Meals
- Food Groups and Nutrition Tips for a 2000-Calorie Diet
- Snacks- How to Choose Healthy Ones
- Sodium – How Much Do You Know?
- Tips for Raising Healthy Eaters
- Sugar Intake – How much is too much?
- Cooking at Home – Meal Preparation Tips
- Dinner Easy Healthful Ideas
- Herbs – A guide to cooking with Herbs
- Grocery Shopping – Making the Most of Your Dollar
- Shopping for Health and Budget
- Too Tired to Cook
Free Resources & Information
- Eat Right Nutrition Fact Sheets
- North Carolina Energizers
- Sports4Kids Playbook
- FitDeck Cards: Using FitDeck cards works well also
- Active School Parties
- Action for Healthy Kids Parents Section
- Team Nutrition Resource Library
- Food Safety
- Fruits and Veggies More Matters
- Tray Talk – Communities for Healthy Meals
- Kidnetic – fun games to learn about nutrition and fitness
- Kids Health from Nemours
- Discover My Plate
- SmartMovesSmart Choices –Prescription Drug Abuse Education
- USDA Team Nutrition MyPlate eBooks