Tier 2: Small Group Support.
- CICO (Check In Check Out)
- Social Skills - Guidance Counselor
- Anger/Stress Management - Psychologist
- Second Step - Christiana Care
What is MTSS?
MTSS is a framework that many schools use to provide targeted support to struggling students. It focuses on the “whole child.” MTSS supports academic growth and achievement, but it also supports many other areas. This includes behavior, social and emotional needs, and absenteeism.
How does MTSS work?
MTSS isn’t a particular “curriculum.” It’s a proactive approach that has several key elements:
- Universal screening for all students early in each school year
- Increasing levels of targeted support for those who are struggling
- Integrated plans that address students’ academic, behavioral, social and emotional needs
- The use of evidence-based strategies
- A school-wide approach to student support. Teachers, counselors, psychologists and other specialists work as a team when they assess students and plan interventions.
- Professional development so staff can deliver interventions and monitor progress effectively
- Family involvement so parents can understand the interventions and provide support at home
- Frequent monitoring of students’ progressso educators can use this data to help decide if more interventions are needed